Responsible Officer Dashboard
The NHS Revalidation Support Team (RST) has developed the Responsible Officer Dashboard to support responsible officers in implementing revalidation. It allows responsible officers and their staff to track the doctors they are responsible for and see at a glance how they are progressing towards revalidation and where any concerns may lie.
It is a stand-alone tool developed by the RST to:
- assist responsible officers and designated bodies in tracking their doctors, for up to five revalidation cycles
- show summary information for all the doctors connected to the organisation, providing the responsible officer with a snapshot of the current position
- record summary details of appraisal over the revalidation cycle, the revalidation recommendation, and any concerns
- link each doctor to their appraiser, for each appraisal year
- allow the responsible officer to record their overall view of each doctor’s progress through a revalidation cycle as regards appraisal, supporting information and fitness to practise
- produce a report of an individual doctor’s summary for forwarding to a new responsible officer
- produce a range of organisational-level reports that can help responsible officers complete their ORSA submissions, and quality assure their appraisers
- be compatible with the RST’s Medical Appraisal Guide (MAG).
Built in Excel, this tool is not intended as a long-term solution, but as a practical temporary application, whilst responsible officers and their teams decide what they need locally, and commercial suppliers develop solutions to meet those needs.
Version 2 of the Dashboard enables the user to import data from another source or database. This means that responsible officers will now be able to import a file of their doctors’ names and GMC numbers, instead of inputting each one individually.
Full instructions on how to do this, and how to move from version 1 of the dashboard to version 2, are available in the User Guide.
Download the Responsible Officer Dashboard version 2 (Aug 2012)
The RST is not supporting use of the Dashboard with training or a helpdesk. However, it has produced two documents to help users of the guide:
1. User Guide (MS Word) – this guide is designed to guide individual users through effective use of the tool
2. Teaching Guide (MS PowerPoint) – this presentation is designed to help ROs and their teams walk through the basic functions of the form together as part of a meeting or training session.
The Responsible Officer Dashboard has been tested extensively with responsible officers and their staff.